Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Watermelon Easy Cubing

It just wouldn't be July without a watermelon cooling in the fridge. Of course, the fourth of July has passed and soon August will be in full swing so this seedless watermelon will probably be the last one I cut and cube this season. I've discovered a way to prepare the melon that is easy for me and makes the fruit disappear quickly. Here it is in picture form.



Step 1) Cut the melon lengthwise down the middle and turn it cut side down on a cutting board

Step 2) Make horizontal cuts across the fruit from one end to the other and separate the slices


Step 3) Turn one section on its side and make a cut between the rind and the fruit to separate the rind from the good part

Step 4) Cut the block of fruit into one inch strips lengthwise and then across

Step 5) Using a flat spatula is an easy way to scoop up the cut pieces
Step 6) Place the cubes into an airtight container and continue on to the next slice. Repeat.
I like to cut up the rinds and add them to my compost bin for next year's garden soil.
Easy peasy!




6 comments:

  1. Hello Peg. That looks mighty tasty. And you have simplified the process. I to compost the rind, the compost grows the best tomatoes. I hope the heat of summer is tempered by this chilled bite size watermelon trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, I was watching a show yesterday where they cut watermelon and they made long wedges the entire length of the melon. Anyhow, it looked good but difficult to store. Trying to keep cool here with temps in the hundreds. See you on the Pear Blossom Lane.

      Delete
  2. Hi Peg. I just stopped by to see what you where cooking up in the kitchen. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello Mike. I've been neglectful online lately, sorry about that. Have lacked inspiration here and in the kitchen. Maybe it is the 100 degree heat here that makes me lazy.
      We're doing okay here. Taking a short stay-cation this week at the house. J is taking a well deserved and needed rest from the corporate pressure. Will try to get out to your latest very soon. Miss you and the Cafe gang. Hope your health is doing much better. Please let me know?
      Thanks for stopping in here.
      Peg

      Delete
  3. Hello Peg, I just came by to see if there was anything new, "In The World'. I find the best watermelon cubing article, but nothing new. As busy as you are I am sure there are adventures to be told. OK, just came by to say hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so far behind in scribing the latest cooking adventures, Mck. Lots of Doctor days that have taken me all over town. Thanks for the visit and the greeting. See you at your place soon to catch up.
      Peg

      Delete