Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Smoothies and Job Changes

Things have taken a big change at our house lately. First of all, J actually asked me to make smoothies today. Wow. That's a major step in a whole new direction.

If you knew J like I do, your mouth would drop open at his next question, "Will you be adding spinach to it?"

"Do you want me to?" I asked.The answer was yes. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Not only that, but J has started a new workout program which after many years of poor treatment by the offices of Worker's Compensation, is actually working to improve his health. Even better, the program leaders went to bat for him and made the Big Insurance Company pay for the program. Hooray for that long awaited WIN.


It's been a long journey since J's 3 level spinal fusion surgery in 2012. At first he was getting better, then a fall at the Denver Airport traveling on business took him back to agonizing pain and increased doses of pain meds. After struggling for 2 years to reduce his dependency, it was a setback.

Well all that is being addressed by the offices at PRIDE (Productive Rehabilitation Institute of Dallas for Ergonomics) for a professional Doctor based regimen of exercise, counseling and help to finally quit all the addictive pain medications.

I'm encouraged by J's new attitude, the spring is back in his step and a smile is once again one of his best features. I'm truly thankful for this new turn of events and the improvements in his choice of dietary intake. The most surprising part of the whole thing is that the day after Easter, J was laid off, yep, again. He is facing that challenge with extraordinary valor knowing he has help to get back on his feet with the aid of the program.

How I Made This Smoothie:

Blend together with ice and a touch of sweetener
  1. I started by putting about 8 frozen strawberries in the blender, then added half an apple, a sliced banana, a few blueberries and a peeled and sliced orange. Into this one, I also put a whole sliced mango.
  2. Next I added a large handful of raw organic spinach and a few ice cubes.
  3. For additional vitamins and protein I added a Carnation Instant Breakfast and a glass of milk.
  4. Blend together on liquify until the spinach disappears, then, add a sweetener of your choice, if desired. I put a squirt of Agave Nectar in this one.


Ahead of time, I wash and core fresh strawberries and place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. When frozen, I pop them into a zip lock freezer bag to use later. You can also peel fresh bananas and freeze them to avoid over ripe fruit.

The frozen fruit adds texture to the smoothie when blended.

I do the same thing with blueberries. My container plants on the back porch provide more fruit than I can use as they ripen.

This plant came from Home Depot

I like to use a combination of oranges, apples, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, mango, peaches, guava and other fruit in my smoothies.


4 comments:

  1. Hello Peg, This article is full of such surprises. I am glad that J is getting the treatment he is entitled to. I will hold my tongue regarding the corporate world. I am sure those smoothies will help with both health and happiness. And growing blueberries on the front porch is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. You have discovered all the little newsy bits of this post. Thanks so much for reading along. Yes, it is another chapter in the ongoing battle. We're optimistic and hopeful at this point and grateful for the turn of events.

      Delete
  2. Oh Peg,

    Very 'smoothie' how you packed so much information into this post.

    I am sooooooooooooo proud of 'J' and you for supporting him through every chapter.

    Mom taught me that everything happens for a reason. Always thinking of you, sending bunches or hugs, kisses from Auntie Baby and mar to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so clever, Mcj. I believe your Mom is right and we're grateful that this has allowed J to participate in the program. He is doing so incredibly well after only a short time. Hooray and thanks for the xxx000 from you and Auntie Baby.

    ReplyDelete