Sunday, June 9, 2013

Saturday's Treasure Hunt in Farmersville

Today's visit to the rustic town of Farmersville yielded more unexpected treasure. Searching for nothing in particular I came across an old time pesticide sprayer with a glass receptacle. The part that was irresistible was the name emblazoned on the barrel: Acme. With the recent return of Rhody, our roadrunner, it was something I had to have.
Visions of Wiley Coyote and the sounds of the roadrunner come to mind as I clean years of rust from the sprayer. Beep beep.
Acme Pesticide Sprayer
More treasure was found at my favorite place, Main Street Antiques, where, tucked away in a locked glass case was Elvis in G.I. Blues. The condition was pristine with every strand of his hair delightfully in place above his crisp, starched uniform.

They made a call to the owner of the LP and we settled on a 25% discount, just for the asking.





 
This is one of the songs from the album: "Pocket Full of Rainbows".
The condition is amazing for a treasure like this one which is sure to have seen its share of lipstick and love since the late 1960s when it was released. There were a couple of others there that hadn't fared as well including one from Elvis' Las Vegas era with the sparkling jumpsuit.

There was also a copy of his LP, Flaming Star (from the movie of the same name) that was well worn and barely recognizable.  I was pleased to see a young girl oogling the faded cover and as I stood nearby, she passed a pair of white gloves to her mother in hopes of purchasing them.

Additional treasure awaited me in the form of an Old Judge coffee can, another of my active collections. I love these old steel canisters which bring back a time of twist keys used to open them. That "swoosh" heard when the metal band released the vacuum inside always offered up a delicious fragrance of fresh coffee. A little Crisco on a paper towel refreshed the gloss on the exterior and will let me open the can to examine the inside.

But the star discovery of the day had to be the wonderful book by Robert Louis Stevenson, "Kidnapped", published in 1908. I was thrilled to find this classic in such excellent shape. Flipping through the pages it even smelled nice and the binding was intact, too. At the price of $6.00, it was simply irresistible.
 
Doris was at her regular post in the store and once again, asked about my Mother, offered me fresh coffee and told me about her latest investment, a new building across the street that housed a candy factory for nearly 100 years. For someone of her youthful age, 87, I have to admire her energy, strength and courage in today's economy to move forward on such a major project. She's still undecided as to what she'll do with the structure, but I feel certain it will amaze and astonish.
Main Street Antiques in Farmersville, Texas 2013


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a grand expedition into the depths of Farmersville searching for unspoken treasures. Well done, you certainly brought back treasures from the far corners of continent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mckbirdbks. You know, I go several months without venturing into this little town, then I seem to make a regular habit of it for a few weeks. It truly seems like the far corners of the continent sometimes. Nice to see you.

      Delete